SIL Training for Team Members – A Practical Approach
One event on October 10, 2019 at 9:00 am
One event on December 17, 2019 at 9:00 am
A Safety Instrumented Function (SIF) is designed to eliminate the cause of a risk or minimize the consequence of an event. The expectation of the SIF’s reliability to perform upon demand must be defined so that it is designed appropriately. The Safety Integrity Level (SIL) study is a tool that is used to define this demand. A number of methodologies can be applied to obtain a SIF’s required SIL rating, namely use of a Risk Graph, a Risk
Matrix or the LOPA methodology.
This full day course is designed to educate participants in the SIL classification process from the perspective of a team member.
The course is meant to provide both instruction and workshop sessions so that the participants:
• Are familiar with the concept of ‘risk’
• Are familiar with the theory and terminology behind Layers of Protection, SIS, SIF, SIL and LOPA.
• Are familiar with the different SIL methodologies : risk graph, risk matrix, LOPA.
• Have expectations as to what the SIL workshop will (and won’t) provide.
• Understand what deliverables can be expected from a SIL workshop.
• Have the opportunity to participate in SIL exercises in a safe environment.
• Opportunity to share SIL experiences.
At the end of the session, the participants should:
• Understand the responsibilities of all parties in the SIL.
• Have experience in a SIL session.
• Understand the outcomes from a SIL session.
Wata has 20 years of experience in the oil and gas industry, in both design and operations. He has upstream
and downstream experience in process safety, measurement and allocation, process engineering, offshore technical
support, and is also a training provider. He has conducted Formal Safety Assessment (FSA) and HSE Case workshops, for example HAZID, HAZOP, Hazards & Effects Register (HER), BowTie, safety critical element
(SCE) / performance standard (PS) reviews.
Wata is currently a Director of IGL Services Sdn. Bhd. His current technical roles involve leading technical safety assessments and workshops, measurement and allocation reviews, and providing training on HAZOP, SIL and SIL LOPA methods.Download Brochure